Wednesday 20 July 2011

Working Designer Wednesday: Mixed Bag

Oh my goodness, y’all…as we say in Texas! I have so many things I want to share with you today. I just hope I can remember them all!

Something happened yesterday that I’ve been hoping for since I started this blog. A few days ago, a designer asked if anyone had a source for Café Au Lait dahlias. I posted the question on here…and yesterday Susan from Shady Grove Gardens left a comment that read, “I should have Cafe au Lait dahlias for sale starting Aug 1, 2011 sggarden@skybest.com. Now that may not seem like a big deal to you, but I REALLY wanted Botanical Brouhaha to be a place where designers could find suppliers, growers and mentors. I hope other growers will follow Susan’s lead and use this blog as a way to connect with designers.

Speaking of Shady Grove Gardens…be sure to check out their website and blog. They offer fresh flowers grown on their farm in North Carolina…for delivery in the High Country of NC, for weddings and for sale at the Watauga County Farmer’s Market. You can take a scenic hayride around their farm…do some bird watching on the 76 acre farm…sign up for a flower subscription service. And, my favorite part, you can get married in their wedding knoll with unobstructed views of three states…just look at the knoll!

knoll peak_fromknolweb

…and their flowers!

village IMG_8724 bluebird meadows blogspot

And…speaking of subscription services…I love the Flower Club at Maxit Flower Design! Simply choose the frequency of delivery (once a week, once a month, etc.), then choose the length of time (1-12 months), then choose your style (contemporary, traditional or vintage)…and leave the rest to Maxit! Be sure to read all about it for yourself on the Maxit Flower Design website. And here’s a Maxit design…

maxitJulie's 23-b

Next on my list…A while back, I wrote a post about Porcelain berries and both Janet from Floral Verde and Laurie from Fleurie left comments about how much Sarah at Saipua loves Porcelain berries. Janet even posted links to these photo from Saipua…

porcelain berries saipua  5021551159_4c76172783_z

porcelain berries saipua 5021541027_a6ce5d8177_z

So beautiful! Janet also left links to a few blog posts you will definitely want to read if you’re a Porcelain berry fan….

http://saipua.blogspot.com/2010/09/i-gave-up-superlatives-long-time-ago.html


http://saipua.blogspot.com/2010/10/once-in-awhile-it-happens-that-i-get-so.html


http://saipua.blogspot.com/2010/10/too-much-is-not-enough.html

Sarah from Honey of a Thousand Flowers left this comment to that same post, “I have tried to order porcelain vine several different times from places all over the country and each time they have given me a raised brow and said "what vine?". I think it is gorgeous, and would love a source if anyone has one.” So here’s another chance to help a fellow designer…leave a comment for Sarah if you have a Porcelain berry source…

And now…speaking of Honey of a Thousand Flowers…you must check out Sarah’s work…magnificent! See?

honey of a thousand flowes sarahwinwardIMG_0962

And look at her studio…

honey of a thousand flowers studio yanphotography12

honey of a thousand flowers untitled-55

Read more about Sarah and her hip studio space here

And, finally, today is Botanical Brouhaha’s 2nd Birthday…which means it’s also my birthday because I started the blog as a birthday present to myself 2 years ago! I can’t thank you enough for visiting each day and leaving comments…and for emailing me with questions and encouraging words…and for passing along botanical ideas and sites that you love. You’ve blessed me tremendously over the last 2 years and I look forward to spending many many more days loving all things botanical alongside you!

Happy Wednesday!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment