Friday 2 December 2011

a little music mix

Last Sunday, I took a little road trip to visit my grandmother, Gigi, who lives about two hours away. She was being honored as the oldest living member of her church and was lighting the Advent candle for the season, so of course I wanted to be there to celebrate. It was a beautiful service. The choir dedicated a song to her and the preacher said a few words as did my uncle.

Music has always been a huge part of Gigi's life. She was an incredible pianist and often played both the organ and piano at her church. But seeing as I didn't go to church too often, I mostly remember what she played at home, a mix of 1930s-1940s tunes played by ear and gospel music from her post-it filled hymnal.

While she can't remember who I am now, just a vague sense of familiarity, she can still sing and recite song lyrics. It truly amazes me.

Today's music mix is a collection of songs she loved combined with those I used to ask her to play for me. Enjoy!

Gigi by Leslie Torbett on Grooveshark


Any guesses at which song was her number one favorite and which one I asked her to play most often?

First Methodist Church


The First United Methodist Church in Marlin, Texas where Gigi has been a member since 1929.

No comments:

Post a Comment