Monday 3 January 2011

Taking Care Of Business

Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays! So glad to be back with you. If you can bear with me, I need to use today’s post to catch up on some miscellaneous business…

1. A quick follow up on the Working Designer Wednesday post about Presentation and Transport of Personal Flowers…Nancy sent these pictures with an explanation of her transport method…

“My bouquets usually travel in deep boxes with cuts spaced for their size.  Or they travel in buckets, 2 or 3 together in each short bucket. If I am not there to hand out the bouquets, they go into vases for presentation.  I use a heavy pressed glass vase for the bride's bouquet.  Its weight works well, even for cascades.  All other bouquets go in simpler vases.  I leave a small white towel with them to dry stems when they're lifted from water. A flower girl pomander can be hung from a large ornament stand. (It’s a good time of year to look for those) I have a sticker printed with the business name that has space for labeling.  These work well on bout and corsage bags, which I stack into a flat basket.”

P8050002  …notice the bouquets in the box openings (above) and in the buckets (below)…just as Nancy described…

IMG_1100

Nancy also brought up another point that I forgot to mention in the original post. I, too, provided hand towels for the bride and bridesmaids to prevent drips on their dresses. Thanks, Nancy, for your advice and photos!

2. During the Christmas holidays I had breakfast with some of my favorite people…

DSC_0016That’s me on the left…then Janice of Never a Plain Jane (see a post about her here), Emily of Emme B. Photography (see a post about her here) and Em’s precious little ones (Jane and Will)...Janice was in town from Florida and it was great to see her…wish we could have had Kit and Jenny with us, too…

Just for fun…look at this…Jane worked with us before she was even born…

007 Working with these women was such a blessing…now they are dear friends…

3. I want to thank Alicia from Bella Fiori for helping me identify the floral designers who created the following bouquets…

AKbouquet by Andrea of AK Haydon Floral Designs

Delilahsbouquet by Kristie and Elizabeth of Delilah’s of Denver

bella fiori…this one’s hers!!… bouquet by Alicia of Bella Fiori

You should check out Alicia’s blogs, the Bella Fiori Blog and Flirty Fleurs. Thanks, Alicia, for helping me give credit where credit was due!

this brings me to my last piece of business…

4. This weekend I received the following comment:

“Love the blog, but you really should credit the floral designers and photographers. Floral designers create, photographers capture, sad to see so many beautiful bouquets and I have no idea who did the floral work.”  -Jennifer B

Since some of you may be thinking the same thing, I want to address Jennifer’s comment. My desire for this blog is to bring inspiration to you each day. I created the blog because I love the floral industry and appreciate the hard work and artistry of each designer I feature. I also love great photography and find inspiration through the work of the photographers I feature. Occasionally, I see an amazing bouquet or floral arrangement on a photographer’s site and the florist is not credited. I’ve made the decision to go ahead and show those bouquets to my readers and credit the photo to the photographer who so artfully captured it rather than denying you the opportunity to see it because I’m not sure who created it. If the photographer credits the floral designer, I include both. And, then, there’s always the possibility that I miss the credit and just make a mistake. Just know that I’m doing my best to credit every picture to the appropriate floral designer…

Thanks for your comment, Jennifer! 

Looking forward to lots of amazing floral inspiration in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment