Monday 12 September 2011

chocolate samosas

Lately I've been craving sweets in the evenings, so tonight I decided to indulge. This was the result.

Chocolate Samosas

Healthy? No. From scratch? Um, not quite. Delicious? Oh, absolutely!

These chocolate samosas are actually a super simple creation. Maybe not as easy as last weeks granola, but almost. (I'm looking in a certain someone's direction, you know who you are!)

I can't claim this recipe as my own, but I'll happily give credit to Michele Cranston, author of my favorite cookbook, Kitchen.

Here's what you'll need:
1 package of wonton wrappers
semi-sweet chocolate (Michele's recipe calls for milk chocolate)
bananas
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp water
vegetable oil
powdered sugar

Here's what to do:
Whisk one egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of water and set aside. Lay out wonton wrappers and fill with a little chocolate and few banana slices. Brush the edges of the wrapper with the egg mixture. Twist the four corners of the wrapper together. Prepare as many as you like and set aside.

Fill a pot with about 1" to 1 1/2" oil and heat on the stove until the oil just starts to simmer. Drop the wontons in the oil and cook until golden brown. Remove and set on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with your own homemade whipped cream.

Enjoy as a sinful dinner as I did tonight, or serve up as a tasty afternoon treat.

Side Note: You'll probably have a stack of leftover wonton wrappers so get creative! There are so many things you can do. For instance, I've got some wilting spinach and yummy tomato feta in the fridge which I'm thinking will make a pretty good ravioli stuffing. Use anything in your kitchen! What delicious stuffing could you make for a ravioli or tortellini? Or use them in their traditional sense with a steamed Asian style dumpling. There are numerous possibilities. What would you create?

No comments:

Post a Comment