Sunday 4 September 2011

homemade granola

This is one of my favorites for breakfast these days. I must admit I'm usually a breakfast taco on-the-go gal, but lately I've been opting for this simple alternative. I'll make a batch of granola that lasts about two weeks, add Greek yogurt, whatever fruit I have in the kitchen and top it off with a little honey.

Homemade Granola

Granola really is one of the easiest things to make in the kitchen. Here's a little guide if you're interested in trying it out yourself!

Homemade Granola

Here's what you'll need:
* 4 cups whole wheat oats
* 1/4 cup sesame seeds
* 1/4 cup oat flour
* 1/2 cup honey
* 1/2 brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1/4 vegetable oil
* 1 tsp vanilla
* dash of cinnamon
* dash of salt

Here's what to do:
You'll want to start by preheating the oven to 300. Then, combine all the dry ingredients except the brown sugar. In a separate bowl mix the honey, sugar, water, vanilla and oil. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well. You want to make sure all the dry ingredients get a little moisture so your granola will clump.

Slightly grease a cookie sheet and spread the mixture evenly on the sheet. Bake for about 20-25 minutes then remove, toss and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until a golden brown.

The granola may be slightly sticky still but let it cool before storing in an airtight container. I store mine in whatever random Tupperware containers I have around the kitchen and it is good for about two weeks.

What about you? I would love to try out other granola recipes if you've got them!

No comments:

Post a Comment