Thursday 3 June 2010

the brox sisters

Lately I've found myself completely taken with images from the 1920s. I'll google random words that are related to the decade, click on images and sift through all the photos that come up. Some uninspiring. Others, well, too dreamy for words. Last night, I was all googled out and went over to the Shorpy website for a quick look. To my surprise I found several photos of the same three ladies. But who were they? I had no idea. There was a little caption reading "The Brox Sisters" but I had never heard of them. Intrigued, I did a little scouting and come to find these three beautifully dressed sisters were among the first artists to appear on Vitaphone sound shorts in the 1920s. The trio started out on Vaudeville in the 1920s and by the early 1930s were already broken up but had quite the time it seems performing with The Marx Brothers and a slew of other stars.

Brox Sisters
Brox Sisters
Brox Sisters

I'm smitten with those lacy nighties and the frizzy silent film bed head going on in the second photo. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment